Teach English as a Volunteer - 16 Oct 2014

Posted by Xian Jin

My Mum volunteers at a learning centre for Myanmar refugee students in our neighbourhood. This centre is open from kindergarten all the way to upper primary level. She teaches English once a week as a volunteer. The students range from 12 to 19 years old. Sometimes the younger students also join in. During my school holidays, I help my Mum to teach the students.


On my first experience teaching them - many pairs of eyes stared at me while I stood awkwardly in front of them. Worse still, the younger class had to join in because their teacher was absent. I was really scared and luckily my Mum was there to support me.


My confidence started to wane as class started. My forehead was already sweating and my voice was getting softer. What more, they were giggling here and there and I just wanted to pass on to my Mum.


I shared with them about birds. I explained about birds' characteristics and behaviour and tried to make the lesson interesting. I could tell by their faces that they were enjoying it, with a flicker of recognition when looking at different birds.


Origami cranes! I taught them how to make paper cranes and they loved it. 


My next experience was different. My mum wasn't there to support me. However, I didn't plan to have lessons. I prepared games! They're more open to me this round because they knew me. We had a great time, playing Spelling Bee and others. We didn't even realise that we had passed the school hours!

It's a wonderful morning spending time with them and the experience took away my fear.

'Show and Tell', a nerve-wrecking experience! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spilling the Beans in Ipoh - 6 Apr 2012

Al-Attas Garden in Janda Baik - 4 August 2012

Sungai Besar Fishing Town - 12 Jan 2014