Life on Movement Control Order


Like surreal, the life we knew has come to a halt – so sudden and so fast. After months of adjusting to life under partial lockdown, to flatten the curve, now the prospect of reopening seems equally daunting. While everyone is talking about a new normal in the post Covid-19 future, here are a few things I've learned so far that I hope will encourage you to press on in your walk.


Be Brave
This was the first thing I reminded myself and my boys. In peaceful times, it’s easy to be brave. But in difficult times, we need to be brave when we face fears, dangers, anxiety, doubt and temptations, even when we are scared, even when we don’t feel like it. God commands us to be strong and courageous. To be strong in conviction, strong to lead, to stand, to suffer (Ellisabeth Elliot). To hold fast to His Words. To hang in there. Our Almighty God knows all and sees all and is sovereign. Be brave, for He promises never to leave us.

Remember Lot's wife
Just before the outbreak, our cell group did a study on Luke. This phrase stuck with me. It's probably one of the shortest sentences in the bible. I remember the pre-Covid-19 life we knew, the freedom to do what we want and pursue our dreams, and when life is full of possibilities. I miss those days. I was in despair over the missed opportunities for my children when they could have much more going for them. I was reminded of Lot's wife. How much I have settled in into this world, how much it has a grip on me, my desires and longings to go back to normalcy. The Words say to seek first His kingdom and righteousness and we are kingdom people, sojourner in this world. Life is transient and we're told to number our days. Lot and his wife were part of the Abraham big family but they chose to settle in the city and led a comfortable lifestyle. They blended in real well and when the sudden judgement came, Lot's wife looked back, a longing gaze for all the things she had left behind and she became a pillar of salt. This is not another story. It's written because we are candidates like Lot's wife. Spurgeon said, "O my soul, set not thine affections upon rusting, moth-eaten, decaying treasures, but set thine heart upon him who abides forever faithful to thee." Lord, I pray that You will show me where my treasure is.

Thank God for the Fleas
Paul says, "Rejoice always, pray constantly, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus." Again, it’s easy to give thanks when life is good. In this crazy time, when men have yet to find a medicine or vaccine for the Covid-19, it's hard to believe that God is really there and fleas are part of this place where God has put us. In the book The Hiding Place, Corrie Ten Boom was fond to share her sister's spirit of courage and thanksgiving even in the most horrific circumstances, including the fleas in the women's barracks. Do we have fleas in our lives? The global pandemic has caused so much disruption and no life is free of fleas. Can we give thanks even for the fleas, the awful, painful things that we want gone? Corrie and Betsie say, “There is no pit so deep that His love is not deeper still; with Jesus even in our darkest moments, the best remains and the very best is yet to be..” God could use even these fleas for our protection and blessing.

Don't let your guard down
We see an outpouring of gratitude to all the brave frontliners in facing the battle against Covid-19. They show courage, perseverance and commitment in the face of an unseen enemy. They put on their PPE at all times in the battlegrounds and do not let their guard down. As followers of Christ, we take up the full armor of God, that we will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. But there’s one final, additional weapon to our armor in Eph 6:18 - pray at all times in the Spirit. Pray without ceasing. Quoting John MacArthur, "In Luke 18:1, Jesus says that men ought always to pray and not to faint, no matter how difficult the challenge is, no matter how formidable the enemy, no matter how hard the victory, men ought always to pray and not to faint. There are the two options. You can pray or you can faint. The Lord opts for the praying side."

A Quiet Heart
Somewhere around day 23 of MCO, I missed a step and sprained my ankle. Now on top of the MCO restriction, I also have physical restriction. I am thankful that the Lord has protected me from worse injury. Though I have many plans to try new recipes but they had to be put on hold. When I felt a bit better, still limping, I ran some errands so I could try out my culinary skills. Alas, my back and neck did not support me. Lying down on my back and not able to do anything much except to rely on people for help was really humbling. It took me a while to see the wisdom in this episode. I have to pause, be still and listen to what He’s saying to me. MCO can’t make me still, even a sprained ankle failed to do that, now I have to lie down most of the times, I have little choice. I realise that I was still running my own life, even doing legitimate, good things – without depending on Jesus. I take for granted I have the rights to do what I want. We cannot give our hearts to God and keep our bodies to ourselves (Elisabeth Elliot). When I got slightly better, I told the Lord my plans that following Saturday, and I committed to His will, and He answered my prayers. Eventually, I managed to test my cooking and baking challenges but the process was different. These challenges did not take centre stage and I was at peace whether to do or wait. Lord, I pray that you will show me the things that are keeping my heart wandering from your love.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spilling the Beans in Ipoh - 6 Apr 2012

Al-Attas Garden in Janda Baik - 4 August 2012

Sungai Besar Fishing Town - 12 Jan 2014