Living with Thalassemia Trait

Why is life so complicated? Is ignorance better than truth? I am convinced that there's such a striking parallel between our spiritual state and physical health (don't know which causes which to come first).

I feel helpless watching my health and loved ones like a roller coaster. To make matters more complex, we inherited the thalassemia blood disorder. In short, our body does not make enough of a protein called hemoglobin, an important part of red blood cells. Less hemoglobin, less red blood cells in the bloodstream, less oxygen to carry to all the cells in the body. Naturally, we are anemic, and need to put in effort to maintain our strength for our daily activities. Luckily there are body signals that are hard to ignore, eg always feeling tired, weak or short of breath. 

How should we live with thalassemia?

We must do whatever we can to increase oxygen and help our digestion to move faster. Things that will help : - 

1. be physically active

2. spend time in nature 

3. take a walk or stand up after a meal 

4. eat the rainbow 

5. improve blood circulation


These will cause our the digestion to run below optimal:-

1. No sunshine, No sweat 

2. Unmanaged stress 

3. Overeating

4. Diet of high sugar and processed food 

5. Always, always sitting down after meals

We don't want to create an environment that make pathogens thrive - due to our deficiency in oxygen and undigested food sitting in our gut.

When did we discover about thalassemia?

Mom: I have chronic anemia since young but never come across this blood disorder from my doctors. I discovered during my 3rd pregnancy. I have low alpha, so my trait is called alpha thalassemia.

Dad: It came as a shock to me because I am a regular blood donor. Like mommy, I tested for thalassemia at the same time as advised by mommy's gynae. I have low beta, so my trait is called beta thalassemia.

What does it mean to our children?

We didn't test the thalassemia trait of our children, but safe to say they have the anemia trait. It does not mean that they cannot get married. But they have to get tested with their partners before marriage.

Can we live a normal life?

Our modern lives are anything but normal. To live normal, we have to put in extra effort and it won't happen by overthinking. Even without doing anything, you have already made a choice to ignore the deficiency and just do what you want. Every choice has a consequence that we cannot control. We have to live with the consequences and the only thing we can change is our choices today. 

Fortunately, our body is wonderfully made by God, it can heal itself, it is intelligent and most of all our body is dynamic, not a static state. So if we make right choices, we can live a 'normal' life - and avoid debilitating, chronic illnesses. I will walk with you, my children, in this journey of learning and unlearning.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spilling the Beans in Ipoh - 6 Apr 2012

Al-Attas Garden in Janda Baik - 4 August 2012

Sungai Besar Fishing Town - 12 Jan 2014