Kiwanis Youth Camp - 2-6 Dec 2015

Posted by Xian Jin


Once again, I registered for my 3rd Kiwanis Youth Camp. It was located at Earth Camp, Gopeng for 5 days and 4 nights. I joined this camp again even though I knew some of the activities were the same, but there's a new theme every year.

I learned that there's no such thing as a good choice or a bad one. The only reason why we label choices as 'good' or 'bad' is based upon what we think the outcome will be. In order to make choices, you have to be AWARE. Only then, we start to make choices. 

We were exposed to many different activities, like whitewater rafting, high ropes and climbing and caving. We also did indoor activities, like public speaking. I faced my fears, even those that I wasn't aware of before, and completed all the activities, even enjoyed myself in the process. The whitewater-rafting and high ropes were really challenging, as I had to look out for my teammates and for myself at the same time.


This year I am very thankful for being part of such a wonderful team, despite the fact that I only recognized two of them when I first arrived. We went through ups and downs, but we stayed as a team and didn't give up. Nobody complained or disagreed, even though some of my team members came from difficult backgrounds.


The camp closed with a BANG. We did some community work at Kampung Chang, an Orang Asli village. Some of us unclogged the drains, painted the toilet and kindergarten and picked up garbage around the area. We were not afraid of being dirty or sweaty, and all of us put in our best effort. I was glad to see the overjoyed faces of the villagers, young and old, and some even joined us! After completing all the tasks, we were rewarded with traditional dishes cooked by the villagers themselves. The food was out of the world! I ate and ate till I could eat no more.

I really, really enjoyed myself here, making new friends and learning and developing together. Hopefully, this will not be the last Kiwanis Youth Camp for me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spilling the Beans in Ipoh - 6 Apr 2012

Al-Attas Garden in Janda Baik - 4 August 2012

Sungai Besar Fishing Town - 12 Jan 2014